Wednesday 4 May 2016

We... yes you and I, CAN change the world TOGETHER




I absolutely dread to think what my blood pressure levels have been this week. The Establishment is rattled, here in the UK! They know us peasants are becoming restless - sick of the lies, cover ups and dishonesty. You can see their desperation in the smears being fed into the media machine. The fact that the Hillsborough verdict,Orgreave, the Doctors' Strike, Teachers' voting to strike, the failed Housing Bill, the steel industry, the jobs lost in retail, the crumbling economy and the election fraud have not made the headlines, proves the strangle hold the right wing press have over all of us. Austerity and conflict are political choices. We need to educate our children to understand and not be compliant, silent by-standers.  Wes has voted for the first time this year and I am pleased he sees the importance of using his voice. DON'T stand by, have your say. For the first time in thirty years, we have, in the UK, the opportunity to address the inequality, the dishonesty and really dispel all the capitalist myths. No longer can we complain, "they are all the same."

This week, I responded to the Labour's defence review. All party members have the opportunity to have their say. If you're interested in my response, it is available here.  

Meniere's and the timing of meetings vs the boys' needs, makes it difficult to be an active local member – if only all letter boxes were at eye level AND telephone canvassing wasn't so challenging with tinnitus and fluctuating hearing. At least under the new leadership, grass root members have an opportunity to give an opinion and  I feel I am making a small contribution.

Star Wars Day


 
I have my very own Jedi knight who keeps me on my toes, shows me the way and always has my back.

May the 4th - we love Star Wars in this house. May the force by with you and new hope too.






BACK TO THE DAY JOB


This week I have taken the opportunity to take a step back and review where I am and where I want to be. Some devastating family news has made me even more determined to ignore the doubters and press on with my plans to world domination – in writing. None of us know how long we have and I at least want to have known I had tried my best.

When I started writing Beyond the Past, I was incredibly naïve and knew nothing of the publishing industry. I have maintained since then, the writing part is the easiest part of being an author. Unfortunately, the industry, like many unregulated industries these days, is full of unscrupulous people trying to make money off other people's hard work. This is the main reason I joined the Writers' Guild of Great Britain – that and the fact that trade unions should be at the heart of all our industries! Don't get me wrong, there are some great agents and publishers but even they will admit there are crooks in the industry that promise everything, deliver nothing. I work incredibly hard and at the moment, we are surviving, just. I am not giving up though, why should I? I know I can write – the 5 star reviews are proof of that. I consider these and the next couple of years are foundation years. You need to learn the industry and craft. This is not a whim for me; it's very much a career choice. Therefore, I need to keep improving and learning hence completing the recent screenwriting course. It all helps. Let's face it when I started this blog, I never imagined we would be close to 35,000 views. You have to build a new career. SO, this week's review has included:


  1. Writing an author profile to issue to publishers; agents; production companies
  2. Reviewing social media accounts
  3. Reviewing the current state of the industry – who is accepting and not accepting new works. I have learned it is vitally important to stay up to date with the industry. It also helps with the days when the isolation becomes overwhelming.
  4. Review of outlines/ book ideas.
  5. Update and review of my website


This is my job - writing only a small proportion of it; these are just some of the tasks I'm involved in.


  1. Writing
  2. Editing 
  3. Proofreading
  4. Marketing
  5. Legal/contract work
  6. Customer services
  7. Planning and preparation
  8. Public speaking
  9. Resilience
  10. Time management
  11. Sheer hard work and determination
  12. Web design
  13. Social media management
  14. Blogging
  15. Chief negotiator, diplomat, fixer
  16. PA, receptionist, tea maker (most important job of all!)

I'm doing this for ME. If anyone can't understand that, then that is on them not me. The truth is, I absolutely love what I do. I believe all my years working in the corporate world has brought me experiences that I use today. I hate that the boys have to make sacrifices BUT they keep telling me they are really happy with their lives AND that means I'm doing another job well! Please, please use your vote this week...

Happy Mummy, happy writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment